In my post from the other day, I mentioned I received over a dozen wine bottles from the freecycle in my area. Being the Pinterest-aholic that I am, I couldn’t help but do a search on wine bottles. One topic really interested me, how to cut a bottle without tools, really? I grabbed all of the supplies and gave it a try, and it worked !! I have to admit, I was surprised.
Here are the simple steps and supplies needed:
Supplies – safety glasses, nail polish remover (with acetone), container with COLD water, lighter, clean empty bottle and cotton string or yarn.
- Fill your bowl with COLD water (I added ice).
- Wrap your string around the bottle, I usually go 5x, and tie a knot, cutting off the extra.
- Slide the string off of the bottle.
- Soak the string in the nail polish remover, I use the cap.
- Slide the string back on the bottle, placing it where you would like the bottle cut, pay attention to the alignment !!
- Light the soaked string and continually rotate the bottle, keeping the fire burning on all of the string.
- When you see that the fire is about to go out, quickly put the bottle in the ice water. You should hear the bottle crack!!
I can’t wait to make a wind chime and some pretty vases. Since I only use flameless candles (my cat likes to catch his whiskers on fire), I could decorate the outside of the bottles with gems, colored mod podge, or pretty tissue paper, just to name a few…….
If you are like me, I like to learn from videos, and I am having fun making them on my Iphone, lol. Here is a link to the video:
Share your ideas with me below !